Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tribal Tragedy

Don't you feel really sympathetic when you see a guy with one of those tribal band tattoos?
I was at the gym yesterday and this 30 something guy takes his over shirt off, because these days you can't workout in sleeves, to reveal this super large even more faded 1998 circa hella rad tribal band. I started to laugh at his expense, but as I sat there listening to Blind Melon circa 1997 on my Iriver and I realized how bad I felt for this guy..
Its always a "tribal" thing too. "Hey, cool tattoo. What is that?"
"Oh its tribal bro."
"Neat, so I get it, you're of Native American heritage, thats really cool."
"No its just a design. I'm actually German Irish like you."
"Oh so you really don't know what it means?"
(Silence)
I wonder if Native Americans had tribal band tattoos and if they did I wonder if they called them "tribal." I wonder if they had douche bags in the tribe that got these super lame tattoos.
I mean, what if we all collapsed to the knees of hip trends so ultimately that we were branded with them for a lifetime of asking why did I do that? Maybe I am more superficial than these fashion wave catchers but I just can't see the logic in it. If you wanna take it back? Ladies, what if you woke up every morning to crimped hair and smelled like Exclamation Point? Guys, you'll have permanent Bosworth lines on the sides of your heads and wear Hammer pants. Now its, gauges, the super stretched ear lobes. Neck tattoos and sleeves are so cool! This shit is permanent and it ain't gonna be cool all that long. Ill tell you what is going to be long though, the wait time for your ears to grow back to their normal size. Fellas get all the ass you can now because in approximately eight you're going to obsolete, like a Walkman. One day you'll be standing in front of some dude at the gym and he is going to be laughing at you hysterically on the outside and crying on the inside because he is so happy he was just a fan of the music and didn't have to wear every hip novelty on his sleeve.
Oh and to add. Just because you wear an Affliction or Tapout shirt doesn't mean you can beat anyone up or are qualified to be a cage fighter in the Octagon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're hilarious.
There is a rumor in our family that Sharon has an R.E.M. tattoo on her stomach that has strecthed out so much that it now looks like BM.

Sharon Kieffer Steele said...

Oh, you dare to mention my prized REM tattoo. I thought I had lost it after having my 4th child, but it has regained some of it's youthful freshness. With the release of the new REM album - it looks like 2009 will be bikini season!! See for yourself...
http://sharonksteele.blogspot.com/
(Click the link to view my rockin' tattoo!)

Sharon Kieffer Steele said...

Phew. I just got your comment over on "As I See It." Because the only thing worse than posting pictures of my fat, naked self on the internet is being ignored. Thank you for commenting on my cheap attempt at garnering laughter. Keep writing. You are more gifted than I.